Look. I may be lactose intolerant but I don’t care.
When it comes to French cheese I’m happy to endure the post-prandial hardships. And anyway, as Stephen Fry says: “At my age travelling broadens the Behind”
Allow me to list my favourites for you – I miss them (Ils me manquent)
- Brillat Savarin the king of cheeses pure cholesterol
- Livarot: has a barnyard, fecal smell and orange rind colour
- Epoisses smells like stinky bad BREATH luckily doesn’t taste like it so much
- Crottin de chevignol goats cheese – delicieux
- Bucheron or niche de chèvre – encore, delicieux
- Soft ripened goats -cabecou – delightful on a “salade de chevre chaud“: – (bed of lettuce with warm melted goat’s cheese)
- Saint Marcellin – oh my god creamy and lovely
- Saint Nectaire – the more aged it is it becomes more runny and creamy the naughty thing!
- Pont l’Eveque from Normandy: creamy and soft with a yucky rind
Of course there are many others – infact over 300 – but these are some of my faves – mes fromages préfèrés
Check out this wonderful website on cheeses everywhere: http://www.gourmetcheesedetective.com/French-cheeses-A-to-L.html The Gourmetcheesedetective